With Garmin Voice Studio, anyone can customize their nüvi® with voice directions from family and friends.
To get started, download the free Garmin Voice Studio program and install it on your PC¹. You will be lead through a series of phrases that can be edited and reviewed directly within the application. To achieve the best quality recordings, an external microphone is recommended. Once finished, you’ll be ready to go with custom voices on your compatible device! It’s fun, it’s easy, and it’s a great way to add a bit of personality to your device!
Garmin Voice Studio does not provide text-to-speech recordings.
To create a custom voice, you must download and install the Garmin Voice Studio software on your computer. Once you’ve downloaded the software, launch the application and follow the instructions below. Please make sure you’ve also connected your compatible GPS device to your computer with a USB cable.
1. When the program is opened, you will be asked to name the voice and select the language. The name you choose for your voice will be the name that’s used to identify the voice you created on your device.
2. After you have chosen a name and language, you will be able to record a series of phrases for voice guidance.
3. Click the Record button and speak into the microphone. When you are finished speaking, click the Stop button.
4. After you have finished recording, you will be able to replay your clip for review. During this time, you can use the editing tools to trim and adjust the volume level.
5. Once all the phrases have been recorded, you will be able to send the voice to your device. A new window will open asking you to select the GPS device.
6. Select your GPS device and then click the Send button.
7. You will see a confirmation window if the voice has been successfully transferred.
8. To use the voice on your device, visit the Language Settings menu on your GPS device and select the corresponding name.
1. Download the Garmin Voice Studio setup file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\downloads).
2. Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\downloads), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the Garmin Voice Studio installation.
* IBM-compatible PCs running Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later operating system.
Garmin Voice Studio™
Garmin Mobile XT
Tutorial: Voice Editor v0.8 for Garmin .vpm files