VirtualGPS Lite is is a small utility, which fully emulates GPS module and returns your location (by using cellular towers and/or wi-fi hotspots). Location accuracy is about 50-500m.
Accuracy of coordinates is about 200m in urban area and up to 5km in countryside. Screenshots are explaining how to use VirtualGPS with navigation software (e.g. "Google Maps").
WHY DO I NEED THIS SOFTWARE?
You may say "Hey, google maps already has this feature!". Sure, but:
1. Google "my location" feature works only with google maps, while VirtualGPS works with any navigation software.
2. VirtualGPS supports wider range of devices because it uses 3 modes of getting cellular info instead of one like in google maps. (e.g. google maps does not work with IPAQ Voice Messenger, but this program does).
3. VirtualGPS can work in PDA without phone module, see AT mode.
1. Check the internet connection on your gadget.
2. Run VirtualGPS, wait about 1 minute until GPS: ON (or OFF in case of no reception) is shown.
3. Do not quit the program unless you need it.
4. Run navigation software. In the settings put GPS on COMx (Port is displayed on the main screen).
5. Now your gadget thinks it's connected to real GPS ;)
HOW DOES IT WORK?
There are 3 modes of getting relevant info from cellular towers:
1. RIL mode. (implementation depends on manufacturer)
2. MEM mode. (memory reading for OMAP processors, does not work for UMTS).
Before start you can be asked about MCC and MNC values. These values can be found here.
E.g. for Germany MCC must be 262.
3. AT mode. (AT commands are used, can work as a linkage of simple mobile phone and PDA without phone module, both devices can be connected via bluetooth or IrDA).
Starting of this mode can take up to 3 minutes.
0, 0, 0, 0 or -1, -1, -1, -1 is showing on first line.
Current mode is not supported by this device.
1. Check an internet connection.
2. Position of current cell is missing in the database, change your location. Pro version may also help.
GPS: ON but navigation program can not connect to GPS.
Probably two navigation programs are trying to connect to the one port. Note, only one program can use simultaneously VirtualGPS.
If you still have problems, run VirtualGps for at least 2 minutes. Then press "Menu"->"Log"->"Save To File", quit and send log.txt to the contact email.
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 2003
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 5.0
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 6.0
* Cell Editor