Virtual GPS is a free software which works like real GPS (using information from cellular towers), but returns less accurate position.
1. If you have smartphone it should be unlocked first.
2. Check an internet connection on your gadget.
3. Run VirtualGPS, wait less than 1 minute until GPS: ON (or OFF in bad case) will be shown.
4. DO NOT quit the program until you need it.
5. Run navigation software. In the settings put GPS on COM6 (You can define any other free COM port in the config.ini, by default its COM6).
How Does The Navigation Without GPS Work?
This software uses MCC, MNC, LAC, CID and other relevant information from mobile operator to find current location. Accuracy of coordinates is about 200m in the urban area and up to 5km in the countryside.
There are 3 modes to getting info:
1. RIL mode. (almost all devices have RIL interface but not implementation)
2. MEM mode. (memory reading, does not work for UMTS).
3. AT mode. (AT commands are used, can work as a linkage of simple mobile phone and PDA without phone module).
Each mode has drawbacks and advantages, and none of them can work with all WM devices. There are also devices which do not work with any mode.
GPS: OFF means that position of current cell is missing in the databases.
With CellsEditor you can add your own cells, e.g. subway stations.
Do not add cells to the cells.dat, this file can be deleted by the program. The better way is to create your own mycells.dat file, and put it into the same directory with VirtualGPS.exe.
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 2003
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 5.0
* Smartphone Windows Mobile 6.0
* SDA Application Unlock
* Cell Editor (optional)